Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Life As A Tree Planter?

Well, for those who don't know, I, Evan Moffat am living just outside of Prince George B.C. , tree planting. I would first like to commend all of those who have ever tree planted in the past, your success gives me hope. For all of you who think it is a hard job, guess again it is harder then I could have ever imagined. It is a hot, sweaty, stinky, sunny, bug infested, log jumping, dirt kicking, experience. It doesn't help that you only get paided 7 cents a tree. They say that you can make 10,000 a summer but don't be lead astray, you work for every cent; literally. The first day was camp set up. Our camp consists of a big gravel pit surrounded by tress on every side. The camp holds 60 people most who have tents but some who brought trailers. They brought in these little portable toilets that we have the joy of taking a dump in, a tent with benches where we eat two of our three meals, a cooking trailer and portable showers which has a line up to the bush line with people wanting to have a shower after supper. The first real work day we got up at 4:45 am, made out lunches, had breakfast and started to load the by 5:15. We then drove for about an hour and a half to the block where I got my first real lesson on the life as tree planter. For those of you who don't know about the tree planters gear I will tell you. The tree planter wears stylish planting bags with three pouches- two on the side and one on the back, a wide brimmed hat for the ten hours each day in the sun, a planting shovel, a hand with either duct tape around the fingers or a glove on it, a good set of boots so that they don't have to deal with as many blisters(thank you Jason), a crap load of tress and a positive mind set because if you get discouraged then you are done for. I am happy to say that in the first week I was a few tress short of a 1,000 per day and I haven't had to replant any of them. Although that sounds like a lot of money to some, those who make good money probably plant 3,000 - 4,000 trees in a day. That means something like a tree planted every seven seconds for ten hours not including restocking you planting bags. Although this sounds terrible, it is also a lot of fun because you get to experience life, hang out with a lot of cool guys, and live in the bush where you can just be your self. I have started a little ensemble with some of the guys. I play the guitar, Conrad plays the acoustic bass, and we have a conga player also. Its so much fun. I work five days on one day off so I hope to leave a blog five days from now, Lord Permitting. God Bless!

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Evan!! I was on Normas blog..and I saw your name and I was like hmmm..I know Evan..and here I am, and there you were! Woo hoo..anyways, glad to hear you are having fun! We miss you at youth, and we're praying for ya! Guess what! I got my very own APARTMENT!!! Well, not the whole building, but a chunk of it at least..me and Norma..I'm excited, are you excited, you should be excited!! Anyways, keep working hard and have a blast!! God bless you tons
Susan

11:52:00 AM  
Blogger G-Force Youth said...

so, you're getting the taste of my countless tree planting stories, eh ev? i'm excited that your crew is awesome and that you're taking time to relax after each shift
keep up the positive attitude, soon enough you'll be making $250-300
i can't believe the trees are $0.07
but, i guess they're priced fairly

hey, find out your address out there (its probably a PO box or something {the camp foreman or chad will know it) and post it for me, just i case we want to send you something to cheer you up on crappy days)

anyways, i better get back to the DIFFICULT work of pastoring

love yah ev,
jas

10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home