Monday, March 07, 2005

The Healing Power inside of us?

I was sitting on the bus today reading Acts chapters 3 and 4. Half way through reading, these two people with disabilities came onto the bus. After smiling in their direction, I caught their eyes and they smiled back. I was so thankful for seeing these people on the bus because they had such a warm smile, I could feel God’s presence and I saw them as God sees everyone. So, I keep reading Acts, and then a sad and frustrating thought came through my mind. If the Holy Spirit dwells inside of me why can’t I access His healing power? Why can’t I walk up to them, start talking to them, lay hands on them and pray with the intercessional power of Jesus Christ? Am I too afraid of being embarrassed or does God choose who is healed and I need to listen to His voice? Or Does God use people who go out on a limb? Maybe all of these questions have a factor in this situation. All I know is that I felt a sadness when they got off the bus because all I could/or thought to do, was to smile. Yet, with their smile they taught me a lot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Evan,

It is with much fear and trembling that I post a response!

Do you know what? In my own experience of "going out on a limb" and being faithful to the Spirit's leading, I find that a pattern is "faithful with little, faithful with much". This is not to say God cannot thrust someone into a certain situation and say, "Go pray for that parapeligic to be healed!". In my own life I am hoping and praying for signs and wonders, even though I'm not there yet. Right now I'm just trying to be fruitful. You have to be faithful in the little things before you can be faithful in the big things. Does that make sense?

7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jordan Mc said...

I agree with courtney that it is with much fear and trembling that i post a response also, because im just as imperfect as the next person.

I agree with courtney that we need to be faithful in the little things and i ask the same questions as Joe does with the NT church. I must say this, that God's ways are so much higher than ours and if He healed everytime, then how would people ever die? I think the reson why Jesus' healing ministry was so powerful was because His life was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY surrendered to His Father's will and he wasn't distracted or eaten up by the world. Self-denial and sacrifice were whatmade Him and these are hard to do. Same with the apostles in Acts, they were willing to die everyday and they knew this world meant nothing, but all that mattered was Christ. I heard a quote, "The measure to which i will manifest the life of Christ is the same measure to which i am willing to put my "self" to death. More of Him, less of me. When God see's a life surrendered and dead to self, He can and will manifest Himself i truly believe. In a culture as ours, this is so very hard to do. Anyhow just my thoughts, i think as we obey and follow and kill "self", than God can flow thru with his manifesting power. I often want this power working through me, who doesn't it is exciting and awesome,but i am so often unwilling to kill "self" and sacrifice to have it. Actions i guess speak louder than my words.

1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

wow. It's amazing how God does things... sorry, you probably don't get why I'm saying that...

Here at Lawson Pastor Barry Antle is in the middle of a 4 week series called "Divine Healing." His teaching has been amazing. I've learned a lot, not simply from what he has shared with us (which has honestly been amazing, the most balanced and comprehensie teaching I have ever heard on healing) but also from friendly debates that have stemmed from his teaching.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a long comment, so I will apoplogize to everyone in advance, but I simply don't think I will be able to keep it short (i mean, look at how long it is already!)

I absolutely believe that God is all-powerful and can heal anybody, anything. I never doubt his ability, neither do any of you who have commented... thus we are faced with the question of why we are not seeing healings every time there is a need.

I do not believe that it is a case of our needing to reevaluate our lives, trying to live right, to spend more time with God, to sacrifice more, to build up our faith so we have "enough." All of you believe that God is able. Therein lies your faith. You do not need to have yourself completely conviced that He will in order for it to happen (of course, there are times when He will let you know that He wants you to pray because He wants to move... that is different). My point is that your lack of seeing miracles performed around you has nothing to do with your state with God, or the state of North American Christianity as a whole. God can use anyone. I firmly believe that. I still encourage you to grow, to press into God, to learn His heart, to understand Him more and yes, to have your faith in His ability and willingness to move in any situation grow...

But I don't think that is going to bring you to miracles either.

Eva's comment about our earthly bodies being meant to break down is absolutely true. Christ died for our sins and gave us a new soul (and I am so eternally grateful!) but our new bodies aren't here yet. We are going to get them, we just don't have them yet, so their is sickness, there is bodily suffering. One of the ladies in our church shared a beautiful illustration of that when she said that it doesn't matter how nice the body of a car is if the engine doesn't run and it can't move. Just as it doesn't matter how rusty and falling apart the body is if it has a running engine - if it can move forward!

We have our running engine... our bodies might be falling apart, but we've got the engine! God will "pimp our ride" later (okay, I know that is a horrible reference, but I simply love that show and it just seems to fit. Who cares if they can give it a paint job and all kinds of gadgets if it don't run?)

The body is an extra thing... I know that none of you who commented ignore the soul, you all know the need to share Christ, I am just reminding you that it may break our hearts to see their bodies in such a shape, but that's not the true tragedy if they still don't have an "engine."

On to why some people aren't healed...
God surely does not relish in our suffering, however, He did tell us that we would experience it. It seems so odd to know that He can heal us, and is not, but I can honestly say that the majority of the people I know who have suffered from injury or illness has grown from that experience. It molds them, it in fact seems like it could be a part of their "refining" process. It seems very difficult to understand, especially when we know that there are still instances where people are being healed... and often in third world countries or places where the Christians go through much difficulty. We often think that it must be because they are so used to relying on God, that they trust Him more, they have seen Him do more... that they have that little bit more of extra faith... that they are so prepared to give or sacrifice things for God.

I am struck with a different idea. In John 16 verse 20 and the following verses, Jesus compares our time on earth to a woman in labor - there is much pain, but when it is all over she forgets the pain because she has such joy. Those people we hear of who see all those miracles happen, when there are healings seemingly left and right. Consider what they go through normally. Those external sufferings likely shape them and are part of their "refining" process (as are the difficulties we go through).

However, you have to admit that in North America things are pretty cushy for us. Perhaps sickness and injury is just one of the best ways for us to grow. Both in experiencing it (I have nothing but admiration for how strong some people become when they suffer deeply in body) and in seeing others endure. Of course, even in the Bible there where those who suffered in body (both Paul and Timothy are good examples).

There is also another point (which I will make very short because most of you have stopped reading now anyway) that someone else shared with me and I think has some truth. When Jesus did miracles, it was fufilling the prophecies and proving that He was the Messiah... and many of the healings in Acts were as a witness to non-Christians (in fact, I have not been able to find an example where there was a healing in only Christian company).

I could probably write much more, but you have all likely labelled me as too wordy already. I bid you adieu... and God Bless!

If you would like to ask me about any of this rambling... feel free... either in person or commenting on my blog is fine... or, i suppose, you could email hicki_cpc@yahoo.ca. It's my secondary email, so even if you are a crazy stranger... feel free.

1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Norma Jean said...

Hey Evan, well Id just like to say that a smile can go a long way and can be a huge thing in a persons life. And as for people with dissabilities and such...I believe that we need them in the world...they teach the rest of us sincere gratitude and perserverance...well me at least. as well as patience. Not saying that they shouldnt or wont be healed. just that God does things for reasons we often will never know..and we just have to trust Him in it. GOds really been teacing me lately to see the beauty in people and its such a blessing. anyway i jsut wanted to comment and ive gone on for too long so ill end off now.... God Bless! keep smiling :)

10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home